Let me start with Valentines day. I had woken up at 4 that morning, sicker than sick. I had a feeling it was going to be one long day. I was right. But thankfully I have the most incredible valentine who took such good care of me. He got Kaiya off to school and took Rikki out and about all morning and afternoon. He even sent me some gorgeous flowers and got miss Kaiya some flowers and a monkey. Luckily I had the 24 hour stomach bug and felt much better yesterday morning. Which is quite the blessing since
yesterday turned out to be quite the day....
.
My gorgeous flowers.
Now comes yesterday. Corey headed to Durango that morning for a racquetball tournament and I planned on going to watch later that afternoon. Aunt Trish came and got the kiddos from me that morning so that Kaiya and her friend Abby could play. Well as me and Shar were driving I got a call from Trisha. She told me to take a deep breath and not freak out but that Kaiya had broken her arm.
That will take your breath away.
I didn't know how bad it really was I just knew I needed to get back to her asap. I felt so helpless being so far. Luckily I knew she was in wonderful hands with her aunt Trish and Ashly. Shar was awesome and turned right around and back to Farmington we headed. They had ran her to urgent care initially and they sent her on to the ER. I Luckily made it right as they were heading to the ER so I was right behind them. We got to the ER and I finally got to see my brave girl. She was so strong thing entire time. Her arm was wrapped to I was able to see her arm but you could see the pain all over her face. Luckily the ER got us right in and back. I just wanted them to help her with the pain. We got back to the room and this is when she started getting scared. She kept saying she was afraid. It seriously broke my heart in two. I had to do everything I could to hold back the tears. They finally got her iv in and boy was she a trooper. Finally they were able to give her some meds to help with the pain.
Got her meds and feeling much better.
Now we just had to wait for x-ray and then to come and set it. They were going to highly sedate her to set it. A much better scenario then we originally thought. Surgery was what we were told in the beginning. Not being able to hold her while the set it was tough. The medication worked well though and the second she started to feel anything they gave her more. And Luckily she remembers nothing of it. The put her had in these finger contraptions and added weight. It was crazy to watch and at times I couldn't keep watching. So the doctor on call worked on her a bit and thought he got it set good enough. Boy oh boy was he wrong. Lucky for us the orthopedic guy came to take a look. He said the her radial head (part at the elbow) wasn't close to set. He had to maneuver and work her arm for quite a but when he finally got it set. Now the trick is keeping it there so that surgery isn't needed.
Here is what her arm looked like when I finally seen it. There was even a spot where her bone had punctured through the skin.This is what they used to set it. Here
Here is her before x-ray. Her Ulna is what is broken. It's like a green stick fracture. Where the bone didn't quite break in two. Described it as a piece of celery. But then it was also like a compound fracture because it did puncture the skin. Plus like I said she also had the radial head that's was out of place.
And here is her x-ray after the ortho set it.
So much better. And she felt much better once they got it all splinted up. So now we go see the ortho next week and find out how she is healing. Once the swelling stops she will be put into a hard cast for 6-8 weeks. This is our best case scenario that we will be praying for. Worst case is the surgery and that we don't wanna go through.
Tio Mike and Keenan made Kaiya a bear and even put a little sling on it.
Our first night went pretty well! I definitely got less sleep than Kaiya did. I was so worried about her I slept on the couch by her. But she did so well only woke a couple times and calmly told me her arm was hurting.
Thank you Tio and Keenan! Kaiya loves it and has been snuggling it all morning. And thank you Ash and Trish for taking such good care of my baby while I was trying to get back. And thank you aunt Trish for staying with us at the hospital and keeping me calm and being so supportive. I love you so much!
Through this whole thing I got to witness how tough my sweet little Kaiya really is. I cannot begin to imagine what pain she was feeling and through it all she was so strong. Multiple nurses commented to me that haven't seen a 6 year old go through what she did and handle it so well. I am so proud to be her mom and to have been able to provide what comfort I could while she experienced this traumatic event. She woke up saying what a bad day yesterday was and then asked if I thought Keenan was okay. So sweet.
Oh on a side note......
I had to document that when Kaiya arrived at the doctor she was dressed for the occasion. She was wearing one of Abri's old bridesmaids dresses. A pretty white dress. My little princess was dressed as one. And boy oh boy is she going to use this to her advantage and soak up being the princess of the house!
(I posted this novel from my phone so don't mind all my grammatical errors)








No comments:
Post a Comment