Friday, June 6, 2014

Oaklyn's "BIRTH"day!

Introducing...
OAKLYN GRAE IMEL
5.13.14
10:34 A.M.
8 Pounds 9 Ounces
20 Inches
 
And here is her birth story....
{WARNING picture overload!}
 
 
So I was scheduled to be induced on Tuesday the 13th. I was so crossing my fingers that I would go into labor on my own but obviously that did not happen. The sad part was I was so not to my "done" point in being pregnant and would have been fine being pregnant another week, easy. But the safety and health of Oaklyn was more important than me wanting a certain birthing experience.
Monday evening family from out of town arrived. It was Papa Rick, my mom, Cheri and Bobbi. We all didn't end up going to bed until past 12 and I had to be up at 4 to call the hospital. Needless to say I got NO sleep. The anxiety alone kept be from getting any sleep. So we arrived at the hospital a little after 5 and got all hooked up. By 6 I was on pitocin and getting things started.
 
When I got hooked up I was only dilated to a 2. I figured this could be a LONG day. By 8:30 or so all our family had arrived. The kids came by and said hello and then went with Ashly to play for the day. Around 9:30 my doc came in to check me and to break my water. I was feeling strong cramps but nothing to painful at this point. Dr. Thorpe checked me and I was at a 3. Man only one centimeter in over 3 hours. It really could be a long day I thought. She broke my water before she left.
 
Everything changed quickly from there.
 
My contractions went from cramping to strong contractions. They felt completely different and the intensity was crazy.  It was like I could literally feel them working. And I could feel Oaklyns head moving down and opening my cervix. SO weird to describe. My nurse said that she wasn't going to turn up my pit until she seen what my body did with breaking my water. They quickly went to 2-3 minutes apart. I barely had a minute in between to re cooperate. I kept thinking that I was only at a 3 and there was no way I was going to be able handle these contractions for hours. I truly wanted to not get an epidural this time around but the Pitocin changed things. I still wanted to wait as long as I could and I had  a few more contractions and then asked my doctor for the epidural. I was afraid if I waited any longer I would not be able to sit through getting it.
By this point I think Corey realized how much pain I was really in. There was a lot going on in the room and I was just trying to tune things out. My nurse was getting things set up for the epidural and I decided to go to the restroom before the anesthesiologist came in. It felt so much better to stand and kind of lean over during contractions. I hated being hooked up to the monitors and flat in bed. While in the bathroom I felt a bit of pressure, kinda like I needed to use the restroom but didn't think much of it. When I got back my nurse wanted to check me before I got the epidural. Now getting checked during intense contractions is no bueno. She checked me and had a puzzled look on her face. She said something like no way are you at a 7.
 
She basically said no time for the epidural.
 
She said she could give me some meds to take the at least take the edge off though. She went to get the meds and came back to begin putting it in my iv. As she was putting it in a gasped and possibly yelled that I felt burning! The ring of fire is exactly as it sounds. Oh boy! And I felt major pressure. With the next contraction I automatically started pushing. My nurse told me NOT to push! Uh yeah right. It is what feels best and gets you through the contractions. She ran out of the room and lucky for us my Dr. just happened to be outside.




 
My doctor came in and just by the sounds of things knew I was ready. My nurse tried to take my bed apart but doctor Thorpe told her no time for that. With the next contraction I was told to really push. I totally did not want to be a screamer but yeah right. After I would scream and the contraction would end I would apologize for screaming. haha Luckily I only had to really push a couple contractions and she was here!
 

I have the cheesiest little babies!
 
 
 She was ready to be here!
All 8 pound 9 ounces of her. She was a rolly polly and so solid. Healthy as can be.That 2 vessel cord did not cause her any growth restrictions! 
Her poor little face was a complete bruise. Doc said she just came down the birth so quickly it bruised her. And her umbilical cord was also tied in a perfect knot. The dr. kept showing everyone. Guess it is pretty rare and can be a bad thing if it gets tightened. All the more reason to get her here when we did.  
 
She was born at 10:34 in the morning so I went from being dilated to a 3 to a baby in my arms in one hour. Crazy how quickly it went and I am so thankful for the experience of having a natural labor. Really seeing what my body was capable of. I thought that I was being so weak after she broke my water with the amount of pain I was in. The relief I felt when my nurse told me I was a 7. No wonder I was in so much pain my body was really working.



 
 




She was just perfect.
Such a sweet, sweet spirit. Of coarse we instantly fell in love.
 My heart was and is so full.



A daddy and his girl

 
I just love this picture of Corey admiring his baby girl.






 
The girls meeting their baby sister for the first time!
 
My world. 


Instant LOVE between sisters
 
 
Our family of FIVE



 

Oaklyn is already so loved....



 
 She immediately wanted to suck on her hands!
Just like in every ultrasound her hands were at her mouth.

After only 24 hours after she was born we were headed home!
I was a little on the nervous side to be a mommy of three but excited to get home.
I was feeling so great physically this time around. So much better than with the last two. I was up and around and just taking ibuprofen for the pain. I had no tares which helped I am sure. But I really think that the no epidural helped recovery wise. It was truly like night and day in comparison to the others.


My chunky monkey!
 
We were so blessed to have the family we did here to share in this experience with us. Rick came for less than 24 hours and is was so wonderful to have him here. It meant so much to me to have him here with us. And Cheri' struggled getting her kids figured out and thanks to her great husband she was able to be here. And Mom and Bobbi took work off to be here. It all means so much to me.
 
 Her birth was beautifully perfect and under the circumstances could not have been better. I feel so blessed to have a healthy happy baby girl. Now that I put my sweet cheeks down long enough to post this I am going to get back my snuggles.
 
I have SO much more to share but I will save that for another post since this is already a novel. If I can ever pull myself away from this sweet baby of mine to write it up.
 
 


3 comments:

BreeAnn said...

Way to go mama! What a beautiful story. She's a doll, just like yor other girls! You guys make cute babies!

Roni said...

Congratulations Dani! She is so beautiful just like her sisters and mom!

Tara Wilkinson said...

Holy Smokes!! I can't believe you did the whole thing naturally! that's amazing, and she's beautiful!!