Grandpa Fergie
I cannot believe it had been 13 years since the world and our family lost this man. I can still remember the day like yesterday. He put up such a great fight but in the end the cancer one.
Grandpa was such a special man. I have so many fond memories of him and grandma in Alamo, Snowbird and Payson. He would come across as such a grumpy man but in reality he was softy.
His gruff voice, rough hands and BIG heart.
I remember sitting up on the counter to help grandma cook when Grandpa came in to get a drink. He looked at me and said, "Counters are for glasses, not asses." Scared me half to death! I told grandma I was going to get him back at dinner. We were having pizza. I was going to be sure to use my fork to eat mine and when Grandpa used his hands I was going to get on him. It was time to eat and I was so excited to get him. We sit down and what does Grandpa do?? Grab his fork and knife and eat his pizza! Me and grandma just had to laugh and laugh. No getting Grandpa back. When he got sick he came back to Utah to be close to family. They rented a condo up at Snowbird and we all went up there. We ended up getting snowed in and couldn't leave! We got to miss school and spend more time with Grandpa it was wonderful/ =) I wish that I could have soaked up more time with Grandpa and really treasured and made memories the time I had with him. But I will take the ones I have and tuck them back away to pull out whenever I miss him. I know he is still watching over us, especially Grandma and we all miss him terribly.
My sweet cousin Roni (named after Grandpa) sang this song to him at our family reunion. The first and last one that grandpa was able to physically attend. It was so special and still brings tears to eyes.
These are the lyrics:
Grandpa By The Judds
Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Sometimes it feels like this worlds gone crazy
Grandpa, take me back to yesterday
When the line between right and wrong
Didn't seem so hazy
(Chorus)
Did lovers really fall in love to stay
And stand beside each other, come what may
Was a promise really something people kept
Not just something they would say
Did families really bow their heads to pray
Did daddies really never go away
Oh, grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Grandpa, everything is changing fast
We call it progress, but I just don't know
And grandpa, let's wander back into the past
And paint me the picture of long ago
Did lovers really fall in love to stay
And stand beside each other come what may
Was a promise really something people kept
Not just something they would say and then forget
Did families really bow their heads to pray
Did daddies really never go away
Oh, grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Oh, grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
I love you Grandpa Ronnie!
I wish so much we would have had more time with you but I will treasure what I did have. I will tell my kids what a great Grandpa that I was able to have and share my memories with them. Your legacy will go on through all your wonderful family.

No comments:
Post a Comment